Support for the Health Care positions of the LWVUS:
1. The League of Women Voters of the United States believes that a
basic level of health care at an affordable cost should be available to all
2. Other U.S. health care policy goals should include the equitable
distribution of services, efficient and economical delivery of care,
advancement of medical research and technology and a reasonable
total national expenditure level for health care.
3. Every U.S. resident should have access to a basic level of care that
includes the prevention of disease, health promotion and education,
primary care (including prenatal care and reproductive health), acute
care, long-term care and mental health care. Dental, vision and hearing
care also are important but lower in priority.
4. The League believes that under any system of health care reform,
consumers/patients should be permitted to purchase services of insurance
coverage beyond the basic level.
5. Support for full service schools that provide physical and mental
health services for all students.